Binaries on MicroSD?

Discussion in 'Firmware' started by davidaciko, Jul 4, 2014.

1. davidaciko

davidaciko New Member

Will it be possible to execute cross-compiled binaries stored on the microSD card? I'm toying with an idea for embedding a Japanese IME in the keyboard itself (by representing the selected conversion with backlight patterns in Cangjie and possibly SKIP codes), but it would need to be stored separately from the actual firmware due to its (expected) size.

I'm actually not sure if it would be possible at all since I'd need a driver-less way to send UTF-8 sequences to the target device or the whole point is lost (it wouldn't be entirely embedded in the keyboard if a driver was required for the host).
  2. Koren

Koren New Member

Care to elaborate? I'm really curious about what you mean by that... I don't see how you can use the backlighting to help you select a specific kanji.

(I'm especially interested because I intend to put some custom code in the firmware, too, and I'm thinking about the possibility of adding a small display linked to the keyboard so that I can display more informations than just what's possible with backlight and leds)

Other than that, my opinion on your question is that the "IME" itself could probably fit inside the keyboard internal memory (it's just a matter of a giant table with sequence of ASCII characters > list of possible kanjis, the actual research in the table is really basic and a couple of kilobytes should be sufficient enough... you can write a japanese IME in Python in a couple dozen lines) . Most of the space is just precomputed data, and you can always fetch data in the SD card...